Friday, October 16, 2015

The Blog That Will Not Be

Hey, folks.  This is my final blog for Ministry & Culture class, and on Friday I found nothing to talk about.  I have spent the last two and a half hours looking through Yahoo!, MSN.com, CNN.com, and Facebook for a story of interest that I can end this off with.

I found bupkiss then!!

But today is Sunday, and I did find something to write about: Ghosts.  More specifically, there is an app for your phone that enables you to detect if there are ghosts in the area.  Since it is closer to Halloween than not close to Halloween, I'm going to write about this and tell a story.

Swayze.
 
 The app is called Ghost Hunter M2, and is available in the Apple App Store (I don't know if it's available for other phones, but I imagine it is).  With the app, you can see if there's any paranormal activity happening around you.  Since we who are alive are outnumbered by those who are dead, we must be swimming in dead folks.  It's a good bet that you're sitting on a dead guy's lap right now.  Depending upon your location, lights can pop on in the app to tell you of activity, and what those dead people want to say.  Spooooooky!!!!

I do not believe in ghosts, per se, but spirits.  As Christians, we are taught that we are at battle with spiritual forces of evil (Eph.6:12), and that spirits are real.  The spirits we are at battle with are those from satan, and not good ones.  That means that Casper the friendly Ghost is probably not real, much to Christina Ricci's heartbreak. 

Another instance in the Bible is when Saul visits the witch of Endor in 1 Samuel 28 to communicate with the now-dead Samuel.

This probably is the wrong witch of Endor...

 In that case, the ghost of Samuel slammed Saul for calling him up from the dead, and shortly after Saul was killed in battle, leaving David to take the throne of Israel.

When I was a kid, I lived in a two-story house.  One night, I walked upstairs to go to bed, and turned off the hall light and saw a ghost.  It looked like a flashlight being shined on the wall next to my room.  I had turned the light off and was walking towards my room from the head of the stairs, and was about seven feet from it before I noticed it.  I ran back to the head of the stairs and flipped the light on as fast as I could.  The way my house's second-story was set up was the stairs had a chandelier at the landing, and I did not look up at it as I went up the stairs.  I would have had to crane my neck in a very unnatural angle to do so.  So I was standing there, and trying to logically figure out what I saw.  I thought perhaps it was a reflection from outside, but the light was next to the window, and there were no reflective items on the opposite wall.  I had no answers, and ran to my room and flipped the other light switch near my door as I quickly shut the door.

This happened several more times, I would see this even with the light on.  I would also be at my desk in my room, and see someone out of the corner of my eye where my bed was, or standing in locations where items were occupying the same area.  It really freaked me out.  This went on for a year or so, and I told no one.

One day, I was sitting and talking with my mom, and somehow the topic of ghosts came up.  My mom then told me she had something to tell me, but I would think she was crazy.  She told me about how she would be in the kitchen, and she would see someone in the room out of the corner of her eye and scare her.  Or one time she turned the lights off late one night, and saw a weird beam of light on the wall, and thought it was me shining my flashlight. 

It wasn't.

This freaked me out A LOT, because it's one thing to think you see ghosts and weird unexplainable events, but to have another person say they experienced the same thing without you ever mentioning it is a whole other thing!!

With that, what did my mom and I do?  As Bible-believing Christians, who were taught we had dominance over evil spirits, we went upstairs and cast the spirit out in the name of Jesus Christ!!  After that point, we did not see the presence, the light spot did not flicker on the wall, nothing whatsoever in the house.  We claimed dominion over our house in the name of the Lord, and showed them who's boss.


 These guys want to be your friend.

So whether you believe in ghosts, spirits, whatnot, I hope you enjoyed reading my story.  That about sums up my blog.  If you read, thank you for doing so.  Have a good one.


Tim:)

The original story can be found here.  It's funnier than my blog post.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/home-and-garden/can-this-ghost-hunting-app-tell-me-if-my-apartment-is-haunted/ar-AAfw6lB

2 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting topic to be picking for your blog. For me, I have always loved Halloween and the supernatural. Ghosts are not really my thing anymore, but I still can relate to your aspect of seeing ghosts. I saw a a few things in High School that scared the crud out of me. My High School Drama theater was "Haunted" by a 15 year old that died in the drama theater due to a blank that was loaded into a prop gun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of all people to find an article about a app that detects Ghosts, you would be the one to find it! This app could be amusing and entertaining to use especially for those who like to Ghost Hunt. I feel like we have all had out "Ghost Hunting" or believing days. I wonder how successful this app will be. As Christians, I think this is a good reminder that is people believe in Ghosts, we need to be aware of the demonic activity that is around us daily. We do have power to cast these spirits out and just like you and your mom did, we need to do that when we sense the presence of a demon amongst us.
    Matt Hyde

    ReplyDelete